Montreal Bagels (Better then New York's!).
You can cook Montreal Bagels (Better then New York's!) using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Montreal Bagels (Better then New York's!)
- You need 180 grams of lukewarm water (1 1/2 cups).
- You need 14 grams of active dry or quick-rise yeast (2 packets).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 1 of egg.
- It’s 1 of egg yolk.
- You need 50 grams of olive oil (preferred) or vegetable oil.
- You need 170 grams of honey for the bagels (about 1/2 cup).
- It’s 600 grams of bread flour (preferred) or all-purpose (about 5 cups).
- Prepare 110 grams of malt syrup or honey, for boiling the bagels.
- Prepare of Poppy/ Sesame seeds for topping.
Montreal Bagels (Better then New York's!) instructions
- Start by proofing the yeast. In a bowl, mix the sugar with the lukewarm water and add the yeast. Let rest for about 10 minutes. (You can skip the waiting if you're using quick-rise yeast).
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast-sugar mix with the salt, whole egg, egg yolk, olive oil and honey until it reaches a uniform consistency..
- In batches, pour the bread flour into the wet mixture, and mix. Repeat until the dough is no longer sticky and elasticy. You'll have to use your hands towards the end, and you may not need all the flour. (If you have a electric mixer with a bread hook, you can use it for this step).
- Lightly grease a bowl, and place the dough inside. Cover with saran wrap and let rest for about 30 minutes to rise. You can also store in the fridge at this point for up to a day..
- After the dough has risen, punch down, and separate into 18 equal sized pieces (~60 grams each). For each piece, roll it into a cylinder, and pull it out so that it's about 10 inches long. Push the ends together, and roll between your fingers to seal. (I would recommend a larger middle hole then my photo suggests).
- Cover your bagels with a damp tea towel, and allow them to rest for 15-20 minutes. While resting, prepare the boiler for the next step..
- Fill a large pot with several inches of water, and heat on the stove, mix in the malt syrup or honey and allow it to come to a boil. Drop the bagels in small batches in the water (3-4 per batch) and cook for around 1 minute per side..
- Once finished boiling, take the bagels out of the pot and add toppings (sesame or poppy seeds). Move to a parchment lined baking tray.
- Cook at 230C (450F) for 25 minutes. Move from the baking trays to a cooling rack, and serve while warm. Enjoy!.
Remember! I Just love to Cooking… Everyday..