Salt Beef and Potato Latkes.
You can cook Salt Beef and Potato Latkes using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Salt Beef and Potato Latkes
- You need of For the salt beef:.
- It’s 1.5 of – 2 kg piece of salt beef brisket, not too lean.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled but cut in half.
- You need 2 of onions, peeled and halved.
- Prepare 2 of large carrots, peeled and halved.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of pickling spice (remove all but one clove).
- It’s of Enough cold water to cover.
- You need of For the potato latkes (makes about 20):.
- You need 1.5 kg of potatoes, peeled.
- You need 1 of large onion, peeled.
- Prepare 3 of eggs, beaten.
- Prepare 150 g of self-raising flour.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s of Vegetable oil for frying.
Salt Beef and Potato Latkes instructions
- To make the salt beef: Place the brisket, onions, carrots, garlic and pickling spice in a large pan. Cover with water to a depth of 5cm..
- Bring to the boil, skim off any scum, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer..
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 – 4 hours, until the meat is soft and tender..
- To make the latkes: Grate the potatoes and onions using a medium grater. Squeeze out any excess water and put into a mixing bowl with the beaten eggs and flour, and stir well to make a sloppy batter..
- Add the salt and white pepper. Don’t let the batter stand for too long or the potato will blacken..
- Heat 1cm of vegetable oil in a frying pan. When hot (but not smoking), fry a spoonful of batter until golden on each side. Taste to check the seasoning..
- Use two dessert spoons of the mix per latke, flattened to form 10cm discs in the pan. Fry 4 – 6 at a time. When the undersides are golden, turn them over..
- Continue to fry until they are brown and crispy..
- When the brisket is cooked, lift from the pan, slice and serve with the latkes, boiled cabbage, English mustard (made from the powder) and new green pickled cucumbers. Find a recipe for these at www.justnotkosher.com.
Remember! I Just love to Cooking… Everyday..